You know the idea that you should never wait until you’re “ready” to do something, and jump the gun a little bit? Like you never feel you’re ready until you’re past ready, but you’re capable of being ready before you feel it? (Yes I know that is a ridiculous sentence.)
I decided to put that into practice this week. Olympics/housewarming party at my place, Friday.
That means I have to get my butt in gear, because I’m not ready.
There’s no way I’m going to get a coffee table and the remaining gorillion side tables that my furniture configuration dictates, or even a properly-sized rug, but that’s okay.
What matters more is
- Making good food that is compatible with non-carnivores. I’m going to do a big pot of pulled pork, and then provide buns and condiments so the omnivores can make sammiches.
- Whipping my kitchen into some semblance of order, even if it’s just stuffed into a bunch of cabinets. (Don’t tell on me.)
- Making sure that the essentials are clean (floors, bathroom).
- Hanging hooks in my entryway for coats and making sure I have a bunch of chairs and comfy things to sit on.
- Doing the hostess thing when the time comes.
I don’t think anyone’s going to care that my coffee table is currently four boxes with boards laid over, as long as there’s good food and good company.
Full disclosure: this blog post is mostly me convincing myself that everything is going to be fine, and that I don’t have to be 100% perfect for people to like me.
It’s all going to be fine.
Btw this “party” consists of all six people I know in this town so far. Hoppin.